COURT OF HONOR PLANNING
This Page Last Updated on 03/10/2006
Purpose and Leadership
The following are instructions on how to organize and run a Troop Court of Honor
WHO IS IN CHARGE:
The SPL plans and
conducts Court of Honors
WHO ATTENDS: All Troop members, the Scoutmaster, ASMs,
and Families attend all Court of Honors. Special guests may also attend certain
Court of Honors. For Eagle Court of Honors, additional guests may attend.
Planning the Court of Honor
- At least one week in advance of the date of the COH,
the SPL should contact the Troop Committee and Scoutmaster to see if there
are any special presentations to be made.
- The SPL should decide based on other planned
activities at the COH if the Patrols need to perform a skit or other
activity at the COH.
- The Troop Historian should be involved in the planning
process and make a presentation or bring the Troop photo albums to the COH.
- The PLC should choose a Scout of the Quarter at the
PLC Meeting prior to the COH.
- The ASPL – Troop Competition should let the Troop
Committee Chair know which Patrol won the Patrol of the Quarter competition
and which Scout was selected as the Scout of the Quarter.
- The SPL or MC for the COH should plan the Program.
- The Awards can be spit up with skits or other
presentations between each Patrol’s Awards. Special Awards such as the
Quarterly Awards should be at the end of the COH prior to announcements.
- Quarterly Awards are generally not given out at the
September / October COH.
- The SPL should arrange with the ASPL – Personnel to
have any Troop materials, such as flags, transported to the COH location.
Back to Top
- Opening led by SPL and Senior Scouts. Remember to ask
for those not in uniform to stand and place their right hand over their
- The SPL or MC will welcome everyone to the COH.
- Food may be served at this time if planned.
- After eating, SPL or MC calls everyone back to order
and asks for everyone to be seated.
- Patrol 1 Awards
- Patrol 3 Skit or Activity
- Patrol 2 Awards
- Patrol 4 Skit or Activity
- Patrol 3 Awards
- Slide Show
- Patrol 5 Skit or Activity
- Patrol 4 Awards
- Seniors Skit or Activity
- Patrol 5 Awards
- Patrol 1 Skit or Activity
- Senior Awards
- Patrol 2 Skit or Activity
- Quarter Awards
- Special Presentations
- Closing Ceremony
Back to Top
Running the Court of Honor
- The SPL, ASPLs, and MC should arrive at least 30
minutes early to set up.
- Each Patrol should be given a specific place to sit in
the front rows.
- The ASPL – Personnel should assist the Advancement
Chair with getting the Awards ready for presentation.
- The SPL or MC should check with Patrols to make sure
that their Patrol presentations are ready.
- The ASPL – Program should get the flags ready for the
- The ASPL – Training and Discipline should great each
Scout as they arrive and direct them to their Patrol seating area.
- The SPL or MC will ask everyone to be seated and then
conduct the Opening Ceremony.
- The SPL or Mc will run the COH Program.
- The ASPL – Personnel will assist the SPL or MC with
presenting the Awards.
- When the COH Program is completed, the Scoutmaster,
Committee Chair, and others will make announcements prior to the Closing
Back to Top
Presenting Awards at the Court
- Ask the Patrol to come up on stage.
- Patrol Leader will put Patrol at Attention and walk up
on stage and face the audience.
- The SPL or MC will call Scouts who are receiving
Awards up to the podium one at a time by calling, “Joe Scout, front and
center.” The Scout should take one-step forward, pivot, and walk to the
- The SPL or MC will announce the Awards earned and
present them to the Scout.
- The Scout will take the Awards, do a Scout handshake,
do an about face, walk back to their place in line, pivot, step into line,
about face, and stand at Attention with the rest of the Patrol.
- If the Scout is receiving a Rank, the SPL or MC will
ask one of the Scout’s parents to come up to the podium after asking the
Scout to come up. After the parent is at the podium, the SPL or MC will read
the Awards and then have the Scout open the envelope and pin the parent pin
on their parent.
- When the Patrol has received all of their Awards, the
SPL or MC will announce that the Patrol may be seated.
- The Patrol Leader should lead his Patrol off stage at
Attention and return to their Patrol seating area.
Back to Top
Considerations for Eagle Courts of Honor
- Eagle Court of Honors should be given at least 3 moths
- Giving out Troop Awards at an Eagle Court of Honor
should be done quickly in Patrol order followed immediately by the Quarterly
Awards without any skits.
- The SPL and ASPL – Personnel present the Troop Awards
and then turn the Program over to the Eagle Court MC.
- The families of the Eagle Scouts may decide to have
their own MC and will develop the rest of the Program other than the Troop
Back to Top
To Download a copy of this How To,
right click the link below and use "Save Target As." Download the
document and open it on your computer. Directly downloading the document
from this link does not work well.
DOWNLOAD THIS HOW TO
[ Home ] [ Up ] [ ANNUAL PLANNING CONFERENCE ] [ MONTHLY PLC MEETING ] [ TROOP MEETING PLANNING ] [ CAMPOUT PLANNING ] [ TROOP OUTING PLANNING ] [ COURT OF HONOR PLANNING ] [ EVALUATING JUNIOR LEADERS ] [ DEALING WITH DISCIPLINE PROBLEMS ] [ PATROL MEETING PLANNING ] [ PATROL CAMPOUT PLANNING ]